Posted on August 4, 2011 by NutriSource Dog Poisons – 9 Major Poisons You Must Keep Away From Your Dog By Susan Benson This may be something you as a dog owner would like to print out and go through your home and yard to see if there is any poisonous item surrounding your dog that would put him in danger. We can never be too careful when it comes to our lovable canines.
Human Medications: Believe it or not this is number one on the list. We don’t think about a dog grabbing an aspirin, cold medications, antidepressants or even a vitamin that is sitting on your counter or night stand because you wouldn’t think they would eat it. Think again. Dogs are curious and will eat anything if tempted. This includes anything that is prescription or over-the-counter drugs. Put them in a high cupboard or medicine chest and make sure the doors are closed tightly.
Veterinary Medications: I bet you didn’t thing about this one! All it takes is for a pet owner not to be experienced in giving their dog medications. They can easily be misapplied. Make sure you are educated on these medications BEFORE you leave the vets office.
Plants: It’s pretty amazing how many houseplants have put dogs in the hospital. Some of these plants include rhododendrons, schefflera, lilies, azaleas, sago palms, and kalanchoe. If you have these in your home or yard, make sure your dog can’t get in contact with them.
Insecticides: This one is difficult because we don’t want little pests coming in our homes so we buy insecticides to get rid of them. One of the most common of these is the misuse of tick and flea products. Talk to your vet FIRST before buying an over-the-counter drug to get rid of fleas and ticks.
Rodenticides: Yes, there is such a word. It is poison that kills rats and mice. Dogs are curious and if these traps with the poison on them are left out, they will most likely eat it. This can lead to very serious health issues including bleeding, seizures or even kidney damage.
Household Cleaners: There are so many household cleaners that are so dangerous to our children and our pets. Take precautions and put bleaches, disinfectants and detergents in a locked cabinet. Just inhaling some of these products can cause serious gastrointestinal distress and problems to their respiratory tract.
Garden Products: Watch out for fertilizers. A lot of them are filled with poisons that can cause very severe gastric upset and gastrointestinal obstruction. This is so uncomfortable for your dog not to mention dangerous!
Chemical Hazards: Some of these chemicals you probably don’t think of your dog getting into but I guaranty, if they are exposed to it they will probably eat it. Some of these chemicals are antifreeze, drain cleaners, paint thinner, and if you have a pool…any kind of pool and spa chemicals are also very toxic.
Heavy Metals: Zinc, Mercury, Lead are all very poisonous! Lead is probably the worst because it can be in your linoleum, paint chips and even some consumer products. Usually this is found more in older homes than the newer ones because they now have lead restrictions. Find out what’s in your home.
As you can see a lot of this is very preventable if you are a conscious dog owner. Just be aware of things in your home and where they are placed. If you feel your dog has ingested something that is toxic, make sure you call your vet immediately. There is also the Animal Poison Control Center that you can call 24 hours a day. Their number is (888) 426-4435. I know you love your dog, so please keep him/her away from danger.
I sincerely hope this article was helpful to you. If you would like more information on any dog needs whether it’s natural/organic nutrition,tuff dog toys, dog gifts, allergy kits, flea control and more, please visit http://www.TailWaggingSolutions.blogspot.com While you are there you can enjoy reading “Just For Doggie Laughs” and “Putter’s Doggie Tips for the Week”. Here’s to loving your dog. Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Susan_Benson